17. August 2020
What are the benefits of Microsoft Teams and why is Skype for business discontinued?
Skype for Business comes from Microsoft and combines various communication media such as IP telephony, video conferencing and real-time collaboration in a unified application environment for businesses and organizations.
As of July 31, 2021, Skype for Business Online will be discontinued. Until then, you can use the tool without restrictions. Advanced features in the Microsoft Teams app replace Skype for Business and make it unnecessary. This gives you the ability to integrate and use everything in an app, such as file storage, conferences, chats, and working together in a document.
What you need to know about the changeover
- Currently, you can add new licensesto your users on Skype for Business, but they must switch to Microsoft Teams by July 31, 2021 at the latest.
- If you and your users work a lot with Skype for Business, you should start planning your transition to Microsoft Teams in time.
- Microsoft supports you here with
tools and instructions
for controlling and managing the process.
- In order to prepare, you should clarify not only the validation of technical readiness, but also the user acceptance as well as the user readiness. Even if the technology is not yet ready, you can already start planning the changeover. You can also use Microsoft Teams in parallel with Skype for Business.
- If you’re already using Microsoft Teams, don’t just disableSkype for Business . Before you go, you should switch users to Teams Only mode to complete the upgrade to Teams. In addition, you should inform users early on about the transition to teams so that they have enough time to get used to the new tool.
- Licensesthat you purchased for Skype for Business can be rewritten toMicrosoft Teams . For example, if you purchased Audio Conferencing from Skype for Business, you’ll also have it available from Microsoft Teams.
- If you need help transitioning from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams, contact us. Our specialists will advise you on planning and help you with the migration of the platforms. Contact us now.
The benefits of Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is a kind of virtual workspace where you can collaborate on documents, hold online meetings, and chat easily with your colleagues. Teams is supported by Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365). The tool was developed specifically for the cloud.
The benefits of Microsoft Teams at a glance:
- Better technical events allow users to participate in meetings faster.
- The application in the browser is simpler because there is no need to download plug-ins.
- Other products such as Outlook and SharePoint are integrated.
- In addition, communication and collaboration can be made simpler and more effective: Microsoft Cognitive Services offers features such as transcription, translation, and speech recognition.
- Microsoft Teams works on your smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer,whether you’re using Android or iOS.
- Each team has shared and personal storage spaces.
- More than 250 other business apps such as Trello or Evernote can be integrated.
- Audio and video chats are possible in teams. For a better overview, the chats can be structured into groups and categories with up to 50 people.
- A newsfeed is available for easy sharing of information.
- In the basic version, you have cloud storage of up to ten gigabytes. However, you can buy more storage space for it.
- All of the team’s content is encrypted and backed up.
- Compliance guidelines are well mapped.
- If you have Microsoft 365 installed, the basic Microsoft Teams version is freefor you.